Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Actual "First" Baby

Back in December of 1997, I moved into my first apartment with a sorority sister of mine. It was my first taste of freedom on my own but I knew there was something missing. Growing up, I always had cats and that was exactly what I needed to make my first place feel like home. Into my life came my “first” baby, finally my own pet in my own apartment. It was a little male grey/black tabby cat with the biggest ears ever. He was definitely a descendant of Dumbo. I was stumped for a name. After a couple of days of trying out Tiger and the such, it hit me when the Meow Mix commercial came on...Baxter. It was like the circle was closing because Baxter was also the name of my first Cabbage Patch Kid. Stupid, I know, but I love those little symbolic moments such as this. So Baxter became what my stepdad termed “the perfect kitty” and it was really true. He gave me unconditional love when I needed it, made me laugh when I was sad, and was and still is the coolest cat around. My roommate decided she wanted a cat too and by the end of December we had “Precious” a beautiful, grey fluff ball who was part Persian. She was about 6 months older than Baxter but he didn’t care. It was love at first site. From that moment on, they were inseparable. Luckily when my roommate moved, she left Precious with me which was a good thing for my love struck kitty.

Fast forward 13 years and Baxter is still by my side. He has weathered more with me than many of my friends. He’s survived and helped me survive 7 moves, marriage, divorce, remarriage, the death of all my grandparents, the death of his beloved, Precious, and now, he’s by my side as I expect my first child. If you’re not an animal lover like I am, then you will never understand the bond you have with your pets. I’m sure I would have made it through all of these ups and downs my life has thrown me alone but having Baxter with me has made them much more manageable. I truly think the hardest for him was the loss of his Precious. It was a sudden illness that took her from us 2 years ago and his world was thrown into complete despair. Never have I been so sad to hear the distressful meows he made for weeks after, as if calling for her to come back. I couldn’t even mention her name or he would begin looking around for her. It was truly a low point for both of us. But we have weathered the storm and even taken in a new cat, Annabelle. Although she will never replace his Precious, he loves to chase her through the house and you can tell that he’s happier. And today is a special day for him. It’s his birthday. Today, my baby (aka Big Kitty) turns 13 years old. Happy Birthday my sweet boy and thank you for all of the joy you bring to my life! Here are some shots of my beautiful baby.

Baxter getting cozy in Mary's car seat

Fat cat in a little box

Aww...so cute with the rabbit feet

My absolute favorite picture from when it snowed in early 2009

For those of you that may be on the fence about getting a pet, please do. I know it’s a huge responsibility but the rewards make it worth. If you’re still not sure, consider fostering. It will be a great way to find out if a pet is right for your family while you help make room for more rescues from animal shelters to be taken in. The animal shelter in Memphis is still so crowded and although the numbers have dropped, euthanasia is still happening way too often so make sure to adopt from a shelter. These poor pets won’t have a chance if we don’t fight for them. Even if you can’t adopt or foster, you can help by providing dog or cat treats, toys, blankets or volunteering. Whatever you can do will make a difference in the lives of these wonderful animals.

Toastingly Yours,

No comments:

Post a Comment