Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hello, My Name is Shanda....and I'm a Worrier

If there was some type of Anonymous group for worrying, I would be a charter member. I can’t help it. It runs in the family. From the minute those 2 pink lines popped up on the home pregancy test, worry absorbed my thoughts. Miscarriage was at the top of my list. The problem is I love to research, especially when it comes to medical stuff, and I know way too much. I can quote you numerous statistics on miscarriage based on what week your pregnancy is in but I won’t. I would say I was around 8 or 9 weeks along when my worrying reached a whole level of insanity. Luckily, my “bestie” gave me a stern lecture at which I dropped into a puddle of hormonal sobs. I was actually on the way to the acupuncture when this phone call occurred and I cried through my entire treatment. I’m sure my acupuncturist thought I had finally flew one over the cuckoo’s nest. But it was the wake-up call that I needed to get a grip.

Now I’m 17 weeks along and I think I’ve felt the little weasel move a few times. Being that I’m on the “fluffy” side, I figured it would take longer for me to feel anything so I’m not panicking that I don’t feel it all the time yet. The first time I was sitting on the side of the bed picking up something off the floor. I felt a quick fluttering on my right side. I think it was saying, ”Sit up, Mom. You’re squishing me.” The other couple of times have felt like it was pushing off the sides of my uterus, kinda like when you do laps in a pool. Very weird. From the beginning, my husband has said this baby is a girl. I agreed with him originally but now I’m not so sure. I haven’t really had any pregnancy symptoms that would sway you one way or the other. No morning sickness, no acne, etc. But since finding out we have 5 friends due between November and March that are having girls, I’ve switched teams to thinking we’re having the lone boy. Hopefully, we will find out on October 22nd when we’re scheduled for our anatomy scan. Like everyone says, I really do just want it to be a healthy bundle no matter the gender. I just hope the little booger is cooperative and opens its legs. Feel free to vote on what you think we're having. I'll have to come up with some prize to give a randomly chosen participant who picks the correct gender. While we’ve picked up a few gender neutral things since finding out we're expecting, we have also made a couple of large purchases. Dave picked out the Pack n’ Play. We had a Babies R’ Us store closing in town so we got a good deal on it. I really love the grey and yellow colors and have even been thinking of doing the nursery in those for a girl but my spouse has obviously opened some type of interior design business because he says no way.
Our other big purchase was the crib and dresser for the nursery. We decided to go with the Kalani set from Million Dollar Baby in Espresso. Although I wanted the chest, too, we decided to wait and see how these pieces fit in the room because I have also got my eye on a fabulous glider that looks like a regular piece of living room furniture.


After all that we’ve been through this past year on our journey to become parents, it’s amazing to me that we are actually buying furniture. I mean, I have a live person in my belly. I guess with all my worrying and excitement, even, about this baby, I had forgotten one thing. I would have to tell a couple of dear friends that have been struggling with fertility issues longer than me that I was pregnant. It was so much harder than I thought it would be. They both took it well but one later confessed that she cried her eyes out after we hung up the phone. That broke my heart. I never in a million years would want to hurt either of these women intentionally but no matter how gently I broke the news, it did hurt them. Just like it hurts them when they run into people who question why they haven’t started a family. Many people are so insensitive with comments and can’t even fathom that infertility is the reason there are no children in a family. My hope is that anyone that reads this will consider what they say to someone before they start asking nosy questions about family. Choose your words carefully and try to consider that someone might be in this situation. Trust me. The person will be forever grateful you did.

Toastingly Yours,

4 comments:

  1. Great post Shanda. All of us women know exactly the world of emotions you are going through. Just think the sweet emotions are you are going to feel when you hold that precious baby for the first time. And although this is WAY easier to say than to do...but dont worry...relax...if I could go back to my pregnancy with Hunter and take all of my worries away I would have had a much more relaxing pregnancy...but you just cant help it. I am thinking and praying for you guys. Cant wait to hear what baby Wicker is going to be!! My vote is a boy! \
    Holly Greer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pack and play and furniture! Very gender neutral so it will be great for this Baby Wicker and all those to follow!

    Holly is right- I wish I had stopped worrying long enough in my pregnancy with Cooper to really enjoy it. I'm with you, though; there needs to be a support group for worriers because I guarantee just as sure as I type how I wish I'd been calmer, I'll be a freak worrier whenever we get pregnant again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew Dave had such good taste....
    and I really like the furniture for the nursery too. I was doing good, til I got to the bottom of your post, then....... well, way to make me cry! :) I know we aren't the mushy kind of friends, but thank you so much for asking my opinions even if you don't care what I have to say (HA), it really does make things better.

    You and Dave are going to be great parents! And when you get sick of the little rugrat, you can always send it for a visit to Auntie Hollie's house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the furniture. We are so excited for you both and know that you will be great parents. We love you and miss you terribly!!! Hayden asked me on Wednesday when we got to go visit Shanda and play with the "mouses." I didn't have the heart to tell her that they were gone. For those who now think Shanda has mice running around her house, Hayden was referring to the Mickey Mouse figurines that Dave purchased.

    ReplyDelete